Monday, June 11, 2012

Pixies-America's Greatest Band

...according to me. And Bono. For once we agree.  (Whatever, I can't stand U2.)

I saw the Pixies live in 1989 at a tiny space around the UC San Diego campus. The Surfer Rosa Tour. I've been a hardcore fan of them since my days of doing radio at KZSC-FM in UC Santa Cruz. It's hard to believe that it was 25 years ago. My 30th high school reunion is coming up in a couple of years!
Some of their music was used in my sound designs for my theater projects and many theatrical productions I did in the 1990's. "Where is my mind?" was the song I used for the post-show of one of the plays I did for my senior thesis at UCSC. Ten years later, in 1999, it was made popular from the film Fight Club, written by Chuck Palahniuk & directed by David Fincher.
PIXIES are back on a World tour this year. Their songwriting & music has always been uniquely imaginative, passionate, abstract, raw and unusually funny. That sense of humor appeals to me. What's really amazing is how they look effortless when they're playing on stage, without the flailing or those out-of-control rock & roll nonsense antics. After seeing this documentary and watching the comments in it, I have more respect and appreciation for David Bowie, PJ Harvey, and Radiohead. Especially David Bowie.
"Updated 50's music made by psychopaths.." I kinda like that quote.

This is a great Documentary from 2002. It's about 50 minutes long.

No comments: