Sunday, September 13, 2009

ATL Track Club Singleton Race Report

Tucker, Georgia, Saturday 9/12/2009
My goal for this 5 miler was 9 minute mile pace. So I finished in 44:30 which was not as bad as I thought. I've been slacking in running every day the last month or so and it affected my endurance around the 4th and last mile. The first couple of miles were fine, I tried to relax and take it easy. As fatigue set in around the half way point my shoulders and feet tensed up. Felt tight the last two miles and at the finish.
I did not have time to warm up properly because it took about 35 minutes to get there and I waited in line another 15 minutes to go to a porta-pottie and had to jog to the starting line right around 7:30. There was a spectacular sunrise around 7 AM when I was pulling into the Sam's Club parking lot, next time I should remember to take a picture. I also saw and talked briefly to Herb R., a volunteer with ATC who is featured in a profile of this month's WingFoot magazine.

My 3 things to remember when I'm running:
1) Find your center
2) Concentrate on Relaxing
3) Focus on Breathing

And of course listen to your body, keep it under control and adjust accordingly. I should try to not worry about the other runners in front of me and just think: I'm racing against myself.

No comments: