Monday, June 13, 2011

Thoughts on Washington DC



My tips for living in DC:

1)  Pay attention.
2)  Be patient
3)  Wear comfortable walking shoes

Washington DC, our nation's capital is a dump. It has that trifecta: crowded, dirty and ugly.  Not to mention boring, soulless, unfriendly and confusing as heck to drive.  I've been here for 3 days now and have been walking a lot to get around the city.  There were lots of tourists around the National Mall area. The Reflecting Pool is empty right now, being rehabilitated or something.  These Smithsonian museums are all free. I was especially impressed with the Hirshhorn Museum, they had lots of sculptures by my favorite modern artists: David Smith, Henry Moore, Jean Arp,and Brancusi. Also loved the National Gallery, Freer, Air & Space, and Natural History Museum.
The Metro is the only other  saving grace as it runs pretty smoothly and efficiently underground.  I was able to get around using the Metro one-day pass. The trains were fast, on time and it seems like there was one coming every 5 minutes.  You could get to most places using the transfer stations.

DC= Dumpy City, everyone is always so stressed, so full of fear, tension, anger, frustration and anxiety.  You couldn't pay me enough to live and work in this city.  DuPont Circle, the supposedly hip, cool and trendy neighborhood AKA Gayborhood is pretentious, overcrowded, overrated and expensive. We're staying at Thomas Circle, the closest Metro is McPherson Square, basically smack dab in the middle of DC. I've been running down Vermont or 14th St to get to the National Mall where at least I can run on the grassy and gravel area without stopping and waiting for the lights to change at every block.

No comments: