Monday, July 11, 2011

Savannah, Georgia

Reasons why I still love this city: it's mellow, rustic, mystical, unpretentious and quirky.  No matter how crowded it gets here on the weekends, I can  always find a quiet spot to sit and relax.  I watch people, read, listen, observe and just take in all the sights, sounds, and smells of this place.
I think what I really love most about Savannah is that it's pedestrian-friendly, I could walk around for hours like I did today and still not see everything there is.  I'm constantly discovering new buildings, churches, stores, restaurants and I've been coming here regularly since 1995.
The historic downtown district has changed a lot over the last few years with new construction of parking structures, restaurants, hotels, tourist attractions and everything connected with tourism. There are now way too many cars, tour buses, pedicabs, and bars. The architecture, the squares, the cobblestone streets, the churches, the old oak trees with Spanish moss, and the old houses are still abundant around here.  The locals here are polite, friendly, and talkative for the most part.  Even a homeless man said Good Morning to me when I ran past him early one day last week.

No comments: