Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Tips for next year's Peachtree Road Race

  1. Continue to park somewhere around Piedmont Park/ Midtown/ 10th St area (close to the finish line).  This year I found a metered space and parked for free, it's a holiday. The super secret spot was on Cypress Rd and 8th St, right by the Midtown MARTA station.  I've learned this after my first couple of years: at the end of the race when you're tired, you don't want to walk a mile and a half to get on a packed MARTA train and then ride another 15 minutes to get your car. So one year, I parked at the Arts Center station Kiss-n-Ride parking lot, another year I paid to park in the Woodruff Arts Center parking garage, still worth it.  This year I just drove around the 10th and West Peachtree St area looking for any free spaces. There were plenty at 5:30 AM. Then I simply walked one block over to the train station, paid $2.50 for a Breeze Card, and waited about 5 minutes for a Gold Line train heading North to the Lennox station in Buckhead. It took about 7 minutes.
  2. Hydrate the days and nights before but not too much on the morning of the race.  This year I downed a couple of cups of water about an hour before the start. I read somewhere that it was a good idea to drink a cup right before you start the race. Well, I was about an hour early so had time to walk around, warm up, used the porta-potty. I felt bloated and heavy during the first couple of miles.  It was not a comfortable feeling. But the good thing was I didn't get overheated or thirsty for the last 4 miles. I took one cup of water to dunk on my head at the half way point.
  3. Running through all the water sprays was a good idea, contrary to what many people may say about your socks getting wet and blisters.  Bah! Didn't happen. Water felt great!
  4. Relax, listen, pay attention, smile, enjoy the experience.  It will go by amazingly fast.
  5. Wave, high five the kids on the sidewalk.  Greet the spectators.  Cheer with them. Make a fool out of yourself. 6.2 miles of FREEDOM.
  6. Stay away from those free T-shirts & frisbee throwers at Moe's, Williie's and others.  Grab free popsicles, coffees, juices, fruits, beers, yes BEER at around Mile 4. Try to run in the middle of the street if you can, I tend to straddle the double yellow lines whenever possible.
  7. After being together for 20 years and being married for 14 years, maybe my wife will attempt to run her fist ever Peachtree Road Race with me next summer. It will be my 5th.
  8. Wear my Statue of Liberty Green headpiece I got in New York City. Run Barefoot. Dress up as a caveman and wear a sign: "So Easy, a Caveman did it."
     9.  Thank the volunteers, the police people, and the Atlanta Track Club workers.
    Make and carry this sign: Slow Runners

    No comments: