Friday, July 02, 2010

The Big Peach

The Peachtree Road Race AKA the world's biggest 10K race is coming to town in 2 days.
So this will be my third time doing it.  This year I will have a real plan and I am in the B time group and will be starting at 7:35 AM.  The elites and faster runners will be right in front of my group.  That means I will have to get up 4:30, get ready and leave by 5 so I could find a parking spot somewhere downtown Atlanta, close to the Arts Center Marta station.  Two hours until my actual start time, I will get on the train going Northbound to Buckhead, specifically the Lenox Mall stop, it should only take about 7,8 minutes from my stop depending on how many people are taking the trains that morning.  OK, how about 55,000 plus their friends and families.
Here's my plan for the 6.2 miles run through Peachtree Street and 10th St:

1)  Relax at the beginning and start out slow.  Go with the flow and try to keep a 10:00 pace.
2)  Focus on good form, stay relaxed and breathe.  Mantra: Find Center, Relax, Breathe.
3)  Drink at every water stops each mile. Go in the water sprays. Pour water on head.
4)  Have fun and enjoy the trip.  Embrace the moments.  It will be over in less than an hour.
5)  When in doubt, smile.  That always worked for me.  Smile and laugh.
6)  It's a celebration of running. Take it all in.

No comments: