Monday, June 23, 2008

Bummer! The Great One is gone.



Around 1987, I was a Junior in college at UC Santa Cruz, while looking for some records to play on my late late night radio show "Temple of Boom", I came across a comedy album by George Carlin. I put on the track known as "Seven Words" at around 3:30 AM after a song by the local band Camper Van Beethoven. I have been a fan of his work since then.

Yesterday, the MAN died at the age of 71. He was just a couple of years younger than my mom. George Carlin was a genius. He was a modern philosopher, a fearless social critic, a keen observer of human behavior, a witty wordsmith, an amazingly silly and sick comedian, and one of the greatest thinkers of this millenium. He was a thinking person's comic. In the midst of one of his vulgar rants, you suddenly realize that he was making a very serious point about society, religion, war and human failings. I like his work because I identify myself with a lot of his views and attitudes about the world. He was anti-war, anti-establishment, anti-religion, anti-capitalism, and in-your-face about it all. He made you think and appreciate the beauty of the English language. We need more people like George Carlin in this world and he will be greatly missed.

I went to my local library here in Smyrna and checked out all three of his books: When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?, Brain Droppings, and Napalm & Silly Putty. Incredibly, they have shelved them in 3 different locations. I think I might the only person who has ever checked these books out. I am reading his last book When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? and it is hilarious.

"The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be alive while you are alive." George Carlin (1937-2008)

No comments: