Friday, June 13, 2008

Fear and Loathing in Georgia

Q:  What's funny in the South?
A:  Everythin' Y'all.

Dennis Kucinich is still my #1 choice for POTUS.  The man is a true patriot, too bad America is all about style over substance. 
Obama is fine but he is for the war in Afghanistan, unlike Kucinich, who is a pacifist.  I'm all for a Department of Peace.

Is there a God?  I don't know and I'm not convinced either way.  I was raised Catholic, actually my Mom's side was Buddhist, my Dad was one of those born-again Christian after recovering from a severe illness.  I haven't gone to a church in over 20 years. 
Anyway, if there is a God/Goddess, then WHO created him/her in the first place?  Oh yeah, right, one of life's little mysteries.  Or is it the Big Bang theory?

"... But I think that God's 
Got a sick sense of humor         
And when I die         
I expect to find him laughing."    
Depeche Mode (Blasphemous Rumors)

And now for something completely different.

Eight Famoust people I've met:

1)  Carl Lewis- 1986, Houston, Texas.
I pulled up into a parking space right next to his Jaguar sports car. We got out about the same time and as we were heading to the drugstore, I suddenly recognized his saunter from watching the LA '84 Olympics.  The man was tall and bouncy and fast as heck.

2)  Cindi Lauper- 1991, Portland, Maine. 
Her then boyfriend, now husband was in a play I was working on.  Met her right at the entrance of the Portland Stage theater.

3)  Randall Duk Kim- 1992, Spring Green, Wisconsin. 
Worked with him for 2 summers. Big time classical stage actor, finally sold out to mainstream movies like Matrix 2, King & I and Kung Fu Panda.

4)  Cheri Jones- 1993, Baltimore, Maryland. 
Legendary stage actress. Tony award winner.  Really nice and sweet woman.  Worked with her on Eugene O'Neil's play A Moon for the Misbegotten.

5)  Diana DeGarmo- 1996, Atlanta, Georgia. 
Before becoming runner-up on American Idol a few years back, she was just a 9 year old working at the Atlanta '96 Olympics where I was a sound engineer. Ordinary singer, perky personality.

6)  Elton John- 1998, Atlanta, Georgia. 
He met the cast and crew on stage of the Alliance Theatre for the Disney pre-Broadway production of Aida. I was not impressed. I quit show business two years after this.

7)  Michael Moore- 2000, Marietta, Georgia (Central Library)
I recognized his Detroit baseball cap, and having been a fan of his TV Nation show at the time.  He was in town taping something about Newt Gingrich and Cobb County. He was looking at me like: "Dude, there's an Asian guy in the South ?"

8)  Toad the Wet Sprocket- 1989, Santa Cruz, California. 
I interviewed them live on a radio show at my college radio station, KZSC. I remember that the drummer was really short.  They played an underwhelmed acoustic, unplugged set.  Then at the end, the band manager took my cassette airshow tape which I had rolling during the show.  Holy Moly, it's been 19 years.  Where did the time go?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a sprinter in junior high and high school. I would give my right arm to meet Carl Lewis. So cool!